Hollywood Film and Acting Academy - Consumer abuse and False advertisement

Lynn, Massachusetts 27 comments

The Hollywood Film and Acting Academy promises prospective students that they will be in a Featured Film and received imdb.com credits. A feature film was never shot and none of the students received imdb.com credits. As well, the previous class failed to shoot the Feature Film project and failed to received their promised imdb.com credit.

When I asked the director Josh Sands about the Feature Film, he told me that it was the students fault and that if we didn't like it we could leave the school. The director then attempted to shoot a short comedy film for the students which he again failed to produce.

We were promised to study under celebrity actors 5 days a week and only did 80% of the time.

The housing he offers had a broken window in common area the whole time I resided their which was dangerous and allowed alot of cold air into the house. The tempature in the evening was at 54 degrees, when I asked the Director/landlord if he could turn the heat up, he turned it up to 58 degrees and said that the power company told him the recommended tempature should be set to 58 degrees. When I asked him why the water for showers and washing dishers is not hot and if he would fix it, Josh told me that I had to deal with it and if I didn't like it, I could leave. The people who get trapped are the one's who have a dream of coming to Hollywood and live out of the state and country and don't know what they are getting into until the get to Hollywood. 3 students including myself are opening small claims cases. BEWARE!

Review about: Film Classes.

Comments

do not recommend school I attended this school at the start of my arrival in Hollywood.The pay for classes and room for free is very appealing to all newcomers to LA.

I did learn alot about Acting and Film Making at the school and I would not take my time back, but I would not do it all over again either. The teachers that were previously there were great. The director and direction of where the leadership is taking the school is someone and something I do not respect. I also did not get my deposit back that was promised to me at the end of my term.

Another down fall to this school is that although they do background checks, the "actors" that come into the school do not need to audition, which allows for wannabes and half-hearted young/old people who are not serious about practicing the craft which does not allow you to be committed and hardworking with a partner that doesn't care. If you are coming to LA and looking for a acting school to start your career. This is not the school. Live in an apartment where you get to choose your roommate (it is not chosen for you) and go to a real acting school with other committed actors.

Also employess, like Mo, didn't get paid.Teachers like Cherie Johnson didn't get paid,and were even given false cheques.Great teachers, like James DiStefano were fired for no valid reason.Students protested to no avail.Students were intimidated,threatened by the leadership.Please stay away from this scam operation place.

Find a real school.Santa Monica College or John Kirby Studio is a good place to start looking.(also for out of state or international students.This is the honest thruth.Good luck on your acting career.

The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy has Rules and regulations that each student has to follow.

The people above are complaining because they were expelled for breaking the rules.

First off let me tell you who I am and why I am writing this in defense of Josh Sands, owner of The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy.

I am a former student who Josh let work in the office at the Academy. Since then I have really gotten to know Josh as a person and see him for who he really is and I'm tired of seeing him suffer because of the actions of people who don't take responsibilities for their actions. I want to remain anonymous because Brett Edwards, Henry Bibo, Akram Kanaan, Christopher Alison, Charles Murrey, Chelsie Foster and other people that lived in Actors house were secretly controlling me and other students of actors house until Josh Sands put a stop to it. I am still afraid for my life because Henry Bibo and other students who were friends with Henry verbally and physically abused me.

I asked Josh why he hasn't responded to any of the negative posts on-line. He responded by saying that he wanted to protect the former students from themselves. I asked him how and he said they if the real truth comes out then the people who wrote the lies would have to deal with the one lie that will change their lives forever. Their lies.

I am extremely grateful to Josh Sands & The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy for everything that they have done, that is why I am writing this response.

Josh is a good person who created a school for people who society looks down on, namely actors. When you aren't a famous actor, people look down on you, your parents don't support you, and businesses don't want to hire you. Josh gave me and other grateful actors like me a place we could call home and the ungrateful people who weren’t happy with the lives that they created for themselves created a very uncomfortable living situation.

So I am here to change the lives of the people who are lying about Josh Sands and The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy.

I found The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy because I was looking for a school that would teach me how to act and I found amazing classes and a great place to live until people in actors house made it really uncomfortable.

BRETT EDWARDS from Louisville, Kentucky is upset because he got expelled for moving in Chelsie Foster's room and then started having sex with he. Brett was a controlling *** that took advantage of her and everyone in the house by having meeting and manipulating everyone into doing what ever he wanted. Everyone in the house was terrified of him. Also i feel so sorry for Chelsie Foster, had just turned 18 and he was 26, and he has having sex with her, that wasn't right.

HENRY BIBO you came to United States from Amsterdam and enrolled in the 6 month acting program as an international student. He was also enrolled at the huntington career college to take english as a second language, this is LEGAL by the way. He was told that he had to attend E.S.L. Classes and attend acting classes, by both The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy and the huntington career college. However he was lazy and didn't attend and E.S.L. classes.

Here is what I saw from Henry Bibo, in the nicest way possible. When he didn't get what he wanted he would get in some ones face and yell and or push and once at night I heard him yelling at his parents for not sending money and then he started a problem with another student who he could pick on.

He wasn't a very nice person. The students of Actors House complained about Henry to Josh, so Josh scheduled a meeting with Henry. Henry blew up in the meeting and ran back into the class where I was and created a scene. Josh asked him to leave the class room nicely, he refused and then Josh called the police to have him removed. After Josh called the police Heny left.

I spoke to Henry and asked him what happened and he said that Josh had put him on suspension and gave him the opportunity to come back to the academy after completing a free anger management class. He then got upset and threw a bottle at the wall, then he got up and walked away. A few days later he packed his items and moved into a hotel and left the school.

Josh Sands didn’t have his items removed or steal anything.

Henry Bibo has been lying to himself, his friends and his family just to cover up his actions.

Josh Sands gave him the opportunity to come back into The Hollywood film & Acting Academy, Henry Bibo chose to run way and blame someone else for his actions.

AKRAM KANAAN, you were expelled because you continually disrespected the instructors. YOU were let back into the academy because you mother called and begged Josh to let you back into the school. You later were expelled again because you had secretly recorded your conversation with Josh Sands.

CHARLES MURREY is upset because he is in collections for $6,000.00 the amount that he owns The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy for unpaid tuition.

CHELSIE FOSTER, is upset because he is the on again off again girlfriend of BRETT EDWARDS she will do anything he says because he mentally abuses her so that he can get what he wants.

BRETT EDWARDS has tricked the feeble minds of each of these people to cover up his lies.

to Forner Student Dallas, Texas, United States #579102

You know this is Josh writing this

Like anyone is going to believe you, especially with so much negative feedback from former students like myself. I laughed at "Soiled the mattress" what I am 5?, and who tries to clean up something with bleach?...the mattress was already bleached when before I got it, it was an old mattress.Also, I never tried to go to the school for a second time and was denied, after my 6 months I was so glad it was over, so I could move on. FYI I missed class because I have representation and I actually had REAL auditions and projects I was doing at the time, no one else was, sorry I thought that what actors was supposed to do. You guys had nothing to offer me and the other actors that lived there.You actually killed their dreams, thats why so many left Los Angeles. I dont know why Im even responding to this, Im doing good. Got top representation now, AFTRA and SAG eligible, a few television and films credits under my belt, an increasing resume, celebrity friends,going to events, going to one of the top acting classes in LA, and doing what I came to LA to do. Your precious school is no more, and I hope you guys never have any more business. Go back to Texas where you belong, California doesnt want or need you.

Anyone reading ths:

JOSH (AND HIS BROTHER LARRY) IS A LIAR AND SNAKE WHO IS AFTER YOUR MONEY. HE HAS TRICKED SO MANY ACTORS AND ACTRESS WHO HAD DREAMS OF STARDOM. HE ISNT WHO HE SAYS HE IS. HE IS NOT A GOOD PERSON. SO PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF AND LISTEN TO ALL THE NEGATIVE RESPONSES ABOUT JOSH SANDS AND THE HOLLYWOOD FILM & ACTING ACADEMY BECAUSE ITS THE TRUTH. SOME OF US ARE ACTUAL FORMER STUDENTS AND THIS MANY PEOPLE ARENT LYING. WE ARE TRYING TO INFORM EVERYBODY OF OUR BAD EXPERIENCE WITH JOSH SO NOBODY ELSE HAS TO GO THROUGH WHAT WE WENT THROUGH. THANK YOU.

everyone who have good or bad reviews i would love to here more and love for you to contact me please!!!! i am an actor looking for a school and i just want you to email me ASAP OK I DONT WANT TO BE SCAMMED NOR MISS AN OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFE TIME SOO PLEASE EMAIL ME!! overtonamiyaj@live.com

I would love to learn more about this from the international student please email me at overtonamiyaj@live.com pleasee!!!!!!

Im confused by all the negative post.This school has been amazing for me and all of the people I came with.

Why lie?

I heard about the former students they were lazy and didnt care bout really acting.Please dont base ur future off there lies.

I strongly recommend anyone reading these posts to call Josh Sands of The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy at 323-962-8554 for the truth. More responses to come.

Cedric Williams,

You are just upset because you soiled the mattress that you were sleeping on and tried to clean it by bleaching it and you also spilled bleach on the floor. You signed a paper saying that you did. Take some responsibility. You were sent the remained of your deposit.

If the Hollywood Film & Acting Academy is so bad why did you reapply?

Your second application was denied because you never attended classes.

If you had problems at The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy while you were there you should have spoke to Josh, he asked you if you had any problems every week.

Josh Sands was there for you when you had any problem.

Please be honest with yourself and take responsibility for your actions.

Brett Edwards,

You are upset because you were sleeping with a minor and living in here room and you were controlling everyone in the house by mentally abusing everyone. You were expelling for your behavior.

Akram Kanan,

You were expelled from The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy because you didn't respect the instructors. You were let back into the school after your mother called and begged for you to be let back in. You were allowed to reenter then you were disrespectful again and you were expelled again. That you for trashing your room when you left. I have pictures if you like to see them.

Charles Murrey,

You were given a job in order to pay for your tuition because you couldn't afford to pay for your tuition after you signed a contract. You didn't perform and you were fired and you retaliate by getting students who had problems with the Academy to go on message boards and slam a school that was trying to help you and them.

The movies weren't produced because the students didn't participate. It's hard to produce movies why you don't have actors.

josh Sands & The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy tried to help Cedric Williams, Brett Edwards, Charles Murrey and ever one else that is giving the Academy a bad name.

The former students placing Posts here are extremely ungrateful and I would strongly recommend staying away from them.

Each and everyone one of you were protect by Josh Sands, you all had opportunities to meet with him and discuss your problems, but when the situation didn't go your way you poisoned the people around you by saying negative things.

If you like we will also give you references of people who were witnesses to the situations that have been discussed. The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy has nothing to hide. The truth will come out.

Don't go to Hollywood film and acting academy. It's absolutely one of Los Angeles worst fulltime actingschools.

Newcomers to Hollywood: please read further!

Owner Josh Sands is a liar, a thief and an impostor.For fact.

The school 's owner Josh Sands is really nice before you sign a fake contract but then coincidentally turns into a nasty guy who is not concerned at all about you or your future actingcareer.You will not find many actor's online who say they have been to this school. Even the school itself will not post names and bio's of "graduates" and will not even mention all graduates.WEll, they beter not since former students include an Arizona fugitive (most wanted former drugaddict) who had severe mental problems, an Arizona sex offender who is currently in jail for sleeping with one of his former underage students, a formerly homeless and currently alcoholic that can be obviously seen in a student testimony on the website, and a man who was previously institutionalized, had a violent temper, stalked one of the students, and was taken to a mental evaluation facility because of his threats to commit suicide by jumping off the Kodak Theatre building.

All these people were living in the actor's house next to the school, even though Josh was aware of their backgrounds..

He couldn't care less, they made him money.

The school / Josh Sands willingly put students living in his "free" house in danger.

The background checks are not carried out properly, and none of the above should ever happen on a campus.

The money hungry school/Josh though will accept too many unfit and potentialy dangerous students as long as they put $$ in his pocket.

Josh has been stealing personal proerty from students living on campus in his actor's house,including from me,student from Holland.

Purposely the bar for admissions is set low.

No quality movies come out of this school.

Check online at youtube,they have a hwfaa channel with nothing but homemade stuff.

The suggestive name "Holywood Film And Acting Academy" will maybe confuse some people but not you, who reads this and wants to go here.Do not go to this school.

It is not an official school,accredited by the State of California.Even when you do finish the whole program,you have nothing to take with you,not even a diploma,since the level of education is so low,it is not recognised as a school for California law.

Let alone an academy.It is a scam operation.

So: do not go to Josh Sands "school"

Hollywood Film & Acting Academy.

Instead: Find a shared room or place for yourself on Craiglist.org (for about 250$ to 500$ a month) and then spend the rest on actingclasses at good places.Go to Samual Frencg bookstore on Sunset Blvd or online and research actingcoaches and schools.

Always audit before you sign any school.

If everyone who auditions gets accepted...yhen it is a fake audition,like is the case with Josh Sands and Larry Sands scam.

Usually great schools and teachers will be mentioned by accomplished actors on their websites or on their resumes. Actingcoaches will be mentioned and cross-referenced all over the internet(John Kirby's actingstudio, Larry Moss, David Kagen, Joanne Baron, Dee Wallace, Tasha Smith, Scott Sedita, Judy Kerr.

Also see what you can find on youtube when you type an actingschool's/actingcoach name.

By all means save yourself the energy to even go audit at Hollywood film and acting academy.You will not be building a strong foundation there to start your career, not in acting and surely not in filming.

Newcomers to Hollywood: please read further!

Owner Josh Sands is a liar, a thief and an impostor.For fact.

He couldn't care less, they made him money.

Purposely the bar for admissions is set low.

No quality movies come out of this school.

Let alone an academy.It is a scam operation.

So: do not go to Josh Sands "school"

Hollywood Film & Acting Academy.

Always audit before you sign any school.

For the "former employees" replying to this stating that the complaints are from the same kids pretending to be different students...kuddos for revealing your stategy.In fact, I would not be surprised if it is Josh himself writing in stating it is a "former" employee to try and give more creditablity to the statements.

Look, the fact of the matter is, regardless whether the students were bad or problematic, that is still no excuse for a business not to follow through on commitments and services as promised (especially if they are advertized). The burdon of completion lies on the business, not the customer. If you advertise/promise that a film will be completed, even if the actors are bad or have bad attitudes, etc, you film it. If you promise that they will get credit, you get it done and make it happen...period.

(You would figure that if the school staff and owner were as experienced as they claim, they would know that actors can be divas at times and you find a way to make it work.

Remember that the staff and owner are supposed to be the professionals, not the students...that is why they are there...to learn.No wonder the students complain as much as they do...the staff is complaining on this site as much as they are (i guess they did learn something after all).

Sam if you have any questions about these post you can contact me directly. All these posts are actual experiences from the people who went to the school or had a relationship with Josh Sands. And you seem new so soon you will understand why people are posting these.

This is a former student who was expelled for his behavior. Please remove the post this is false information.

If you have any question please call and speak with Sam.

323-962-8554

This place is a really bad acting school.There are no curriculum and every acting class (which is not provided every day as promised) has no "red line".

Everything is up in the air. The teachers comes and goes. You never know which teacher you will have the next day...if any.

#220055

:( :cry Worst place ever.All persons named above are former students,who tell the truth to warn people.

The Hollywood Film & and Acting Academy has no curriculum and no structure any other school has.If you can even call it that.Josh Sands,the owner,is really nice BEFORE you sign a fake contract and then coincidentally turns into the nasty guy who doesn't care about you or your future acting career.He lies to students, and even has stolen from students on campus.He only cares about money,and is not having this school out of love for educating.

Everything is up in the air.False promises.Every acting class has no "red line" and is nor provided as promised.

Teachers come and go,and are not involved in the school,they have NO voice.

Only Josh has.

Also the movies he makes are terrible,judge for yourself on youtube.Our best advice is: STAY AWAY from that school.

We hope this school gets shut down so Josh can stop killing actors' dreams. Don't let Josh and his demon baby "Hollywood Film & Acting Academy" crush your dreams. We hope we finally see the day when Josh pays for what he has done. God will take care of it.

Akrem,Alejo,Angela,Bailey,Bibo,Bilquees,Cedric,Chelsie,Chance,Charles,Chris,George,George,Jabaar,James,Kenny,LaToya,Mads,Maria,Maria,Michelle,Mo,Natalie,Natasha,Nikki,Robyn,Sarah,Xavier

I apologize to al former students and am sorry for the harm I caused them,it was never intended.I am not an impostor and do want the best for all.really. seriously.

One day the Hollywood Film & Acting Academy will be the standard for acting and film education in the world.That's my goal.

Of course I make money with what I do,but what is wrong woth that?I apologize to Akrem Kanaan,Brett Edwards and Henri Bibo for having abused their good names,and i take back what was said.I recognize what Cj Willaims wrote about and am trying to change things for the better.Can't you see I am giving my heart for all of this.I really care about all my students.I will therefore stop making false promises and misleading advetsing. If I can not produce a movie or give students imdb credits then I also won't promise this anymore to prospective students.Check out my a caemy on youtube,and then judge. You can judge a tree by its fruit,right?

Once again,I am sorry for what I have done in the past,

As aba[tized Christian I cite from in Our Dear Father:

"And forgive us our trespasses,

as we forgive those

who trespass against us"

I wish Akrem Kanaan, Brett Edwards and Henri Bibo all the best with their future career and can strongly recommend these former students who have showed endurance,courage, a strong will and determination in pursuiing their goals here in Hollywood and I do believe they have what it takes to become succesfull actors and wish them all the luck.

Josh S. Sands

President, CEO & CFO

Hollywood Film & Acting Academy

for i bet you are a *** fat ugly *** .

well you know who im , and you are a *** hypocrite , well first use your real name when you insult peapol , im insulting you and im using my name , but i guess you are a scary *** ***. i don't really care who you are , but whoever you are you don't have any dignity.

Horrible school. If you can even call it that. No real curriculum and no order at all. I was one of the students that wasnt really affected by Josh or the school at first because I honestly didnt expect anything from the school because I already have representation, I already knew everything they was "teaching" and had a few things going for me (and still do) outside the school ( I will explain why Im upset with Josh later). But I saw how Josh manipulated the other students and had them think they could possibly be working after they leave the school. Some students actually gave up acting because of Josh. Josh even treated some students with neglect and disrespect if they showed any resentment towards him or the school. Thats why I pretended to befriend Josh so I could see if he would actually turn on me like he did most of the students besides his "favorite student" who I wont name but everyone knows who Im talking about. Out of my January class I was one of the only ones that actually finished the 6 month program and even stayed in LA. Josh is a killer of actor's dreams and a compulsive liar. Heres some negative things and the promises broken by Josh:

1. There was no legit showcase-It was said at the end of the program we would audition in front of agents and managers. We did in fact audition in front of two agency in the middle of the program while we still "learning". But the agents was only looking for SAG actors which none of us was except for Josh's puppet brother Larry, which is why he was in most of our scenes so he could be seen. The other agent wasnt even looking for any new talent at the time. This made me think maybe Josh just asked these two agents to come in as a way to fulfill at obligation.

2. "The Conspiracy Theory Movie"- The Conspiracy is a movie that will never see the light of day. It was written by talented script writer Jeff Solema, who is a former student of the school. This film was actually supposed to be shot by a previous class, I heard a few years before my class (January 2010). Josh's excuse is always, "the other classes didnt participate or do their homework, so we shoot their movie but maybe your class will" My class heard it and the September class heard it too, even the March class when they came.Towards the end of my 6 month program, by this time most of the students have left due to not being satisfied with the school, they also had alot of complaints and wanted their money back.One of the complaints was there was no movie shot for their class. So Josh panicked. So he said lets shoot a movie called the "Conspiracy Theory". When I heard that name I knew it was the film that has never been able to shot by the other classes, I knew this because a few months previous to this before the September class left I would talk to them and ask them how they felt about the school (Be aware Josh despises the September calling them horrible people, as you can see a few comments up).Even Josh told me and my class to "stay away" from them, dont listen to what they say, and make your own decisions about the school. In one of my conversations with them, the "feature film" brought up. It was called the "Conspiracy Theory" they actually gave me the entire 100 plus page script and they told me the story about this movie and the other classes, etc. So back to what I was saying earlier, when Josh mentioned the film I knew he was trying to save himself by somehow getting this film shot so he can say the other students were lieing about no movie being shot for their class (see Josh isnt *** he learns from his mistakes and becomes a bigger troll). So with the remaining students he asked us to pick a role or 2 characters to audition for. Also be aware that the film that is supposed to be shot is meant to be written for the students in each class and the characters should fit each student thats in it. So I look through each character and none of the characters fit me (age wise and race wise) nor did I feel strongly bout any of the characters. As an actor if you should feel connected and can relate to any character you play. I even told Josh and he says he could write a character in for me, which isnt professional at all. Change the whole script just to get me a character in the film? Sounds like he wanted to fulfill another obligation again. I even remember Larry and Josh practically beg me and some of the other students to be in the film. For some reason their pleas weren't sincere to me. A few students that actually liked Josh auditioned and since there wasnt enough of us that wanted to do this project due to it being unprofessional, Josh actually posting casting ads on craigslist,LAcasting, and I think even Actors Access. Surprisingly actors/actress responded and they eventually had their cast. They did indeed begin shooting, but surprisingly a few actors dropped out including Josh's favorite student. So the film once again didnt see the light of day. And if Josh sees this and says it has been shot they post a link so we can see it, with the same actor's that I know was in the film. Long story short, even though he started shooting the movie, it was still never completed or what we expected, and unprofessional then I see that as another promise broken. He even said this film would get distribution and we would get IMDB credit if we were in it. You cant get all that if a movie isnt even completed. Fail Josh.

3. "Why are you recording me?"- This will be short. Sometimes Josh would randomly record our audio if it was about an issue that would affect the school and him in any way. He would randomly ask us do you mind if we record you. Imagine some of our reactions. Josh would sometimes try to record us without us knowing, which was told to me by one of the other students. Josh had an iPhone and would always have it out. I'll leave it at that.

4."Josh should win an Oscar for best actor aka Crocodile Tears" - To explain the title of this, when someone left the school or he felt we were unhappy for some reason or another he would set up a house meeting. He would talk to us all normal at first saying "Im here to help...I started this school to help actors like you...where in Hollywood can you find a school that gives you free housing (which isnt even free. What acting class is 1000$ a month? International students payed more than that. And if Im not mistaken the price is even higher today. Sounds like rent money to me)...I care about all of you...etc. Then he would break down crying and be very dramatic. We knew it was all for show, because the next day or even a few seconds after his performance Josh would suddenly go back to way he was, which was not listening or acting upon our problems or requests and treating us like we dont matter or as dollar signs. Also Josh had two sides, sometimes he would act friendly which was obnoxiously *** where he would say corny jokes. The other side was the uncaring dictator of the HWFAA.

5. Money Hungry- This is the sole reason why Im upset and making this complaint. All Josh cares about is money, he doesnt care about us actor's at all. Heres what I mean: He took money from the international students, he didnt give anyone back their their security deposit, didnt pay some of the teachers which is why they left, he didnt pay his "employees" which is why he has someone new work there every couple months,he constantly raises the price of his 6 month program, and heres one where you should read between the lines if any students wants to leaves the program early for any reason they still have to pay Josh the remainder of the tuition even though their not going to the school anymore! For example if somebody's family member died and the student was an emotional wreck and wanted to leave and go back home, Josh would still charge that person the remainder of their tuition money. Evil.

6. The name of the school- This one isnt a broken promise, but in my opinion needs to stated. The name of the school The Hollywood film & acting academy it sounds very similar to New York film academy. New York film academy is a high praised accredited school for actors,filmmakers, directors, etc. But some people think all because its called New York Film Academy that its only located in New York. So inspiring actors who want to move to Hollywood and looking to further their education and knowledge when searching for a school without knowing that there is a New York Film Academy in LA still called New York Film Academy will search for Los Angeles Film Academy or you guessed it Hollywood Film Academy (note that even though the "& Acting" part wasnt added in a Google search it would still show Hollywood Film & Acting Academy, which as we know is a scam, no an accredited school, or even as prestigious as New York Film Academy.) Sounds like false advertisement to me. And why is no one that has ever went to HWFAA became a successful, working actor? Who are their famous Alumni students like some of the other school/classes have? (If Im the first one to break through, no credit will go to HWFAA) And why are most of the students that go to HWFAA out of state? Because people from LA know better thats why.

7. No participation- Heres another thing I felt that wasnt right about the school. If some of the students dont participate or they leave then the rest of the students that are participating and have stayed suffer. Josh didnt look as us a individuals only as group. If one person in the group messed up, we all suffered. It shouldnt be that way, thats just a way for him to say there was no participation not stating that it was only a few, so he can just not do what he promised to do, which can save him from any complaints from any unhappy students. Not fair at all.

8. "Let's shoot scenes for your demo reel"- One of things Josh and Larry tried to do was to get us to shoot scenes (or short films) for our demo reel, which one of the promises. They even said if we wanted to shoot a scene we have written then just let him or Larry know and they will shoot it( sometimes we would tell them to shoot some of our scenes and they would lay us off everytime and never get to it) Ok, sometimes we did shoot scenes, but the end results were never satisfying. The production was horrible and unprofessional, a little kid with a camera at home could shoot something better. The quality was mediocre, the lighting wasnt right, the angles sucked due to Josh being shorter than us, he was the camera man

:grin . It looked like a home movie, not a professional motion picture or scene. This isnt something you want on your demo reel to send to agents and managers. We even got discouraged to shoot a scene with Josh, because we knew it would look good. Josh even had a few film students that were in other programs shoot scenes and asked some of us to be in the scenes. But remember these filmmakers were green and just starting out and was being taught somewhat by Josh, so read between the lines on that one. Sometimes our footage would somehow disappear and we never got to see it. Another thing is, Josh wanted us to edit the scenes ourselves. We didnt go to an "acting" school to do that. He said he will teach us how. It takes more than a few cheap basic lessons to make a professional looking scene/demo reel. Editing is a whole different department. But you know Josh, anything to fulfill an obligation.

9. If this school is so good, why are so many former students unhappy?- Thats right, out of all the students that have been at HWFAA next to none have been satisfied (Josh's favorite is probably the only one that likes the school for some reason). There must be a reason why all us former students hate this school and say its a scam right (thats because it is!)? Its no way all of us can be lying or just trying to get back at Josh right? WE were lied to and money was stolen from us and we are upset about it. I can ask 10 students right now about how they feel about HWFAA and it will all be negative responses.

10. Josh- This will be my final complaint. knowing Josh he will see all this and respond and try to counter everything I have said or what everyone has been saying about him. Why is he so frantic and nervous about what we are saying? Why does he even care about what we say if he think what were saying isnt true? Kinda insecure right? How does he even find all these complaints? Because he is always on the look out, trying to protect himself, and trying to hide his secret. He doesnt anyone to stop to scam of his. He doesnt want anything to happen to his "baby"

Thats my complaint. I didnt even mentioned what Josh did to me. Another time. I hope this school gets shut down so Josh can stop killing actors' dreams. He didnt and wont stop me from what I got to do. Im still here in Hollywood doing what I love to do, which is act. I didnt let Josh and his demon baby "Hollywood Film & Acting Academy" crush my dreams. I hope I finally see the day when Josh pays for what he has done. God will take care of it.

To the last poster: this is my real name and you know who I am. And you are a hypocrite because you didn't even put your real name.

Definition of a Hypocrite: "a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings."

I wonder if what is being said here is the truth or lies told by people who are trying to destroy a good thing.

There are no real names attached to these complaints.Does anyone really believe this B.S.?

I have been a student at The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy a long time an i remember some of the things that happened and I remember Josh doing everything by the book to resolve the issues.

Josh Sands is a great person who is helping everyone who walks through the doors of the academy.the people posting the messages leave no real names or contact information.

None of the former students got their moneyÅ› worth.

Almost al of them did not get their security and tuition deposits back.

School is set up as moneymaker for Josh Sands, a degenerate fat dwarf who is a third range filmmaker who got kicked out of filmschool because of lack of talent.He is a total outsider in Tinseltown,driving around with Texas plates... Anyone attaching his name to him or his projects should consider his bad rep online and the bad name his school has in Hollywood.

no selfrespecting succesfulperson in the biz should want to work with him.

:cry

The woner of Hollywood Film and Acting academy is Josh Sands, my ex. He is a man full of trouble.He has beaten me in one of the many fights we had,and after opur relationship ended he could not accepot this and even called my father.Josh is a pathological liar who will do anything to dominate people in his circle,also students and he rerally does not have a good heart.It is sad that he continues time after time to lure peple into his school only to rip them of their money.He would be better of doing what he can do well:being a cameraman and produce films.

newcomers to Hollywood should know there are many sharks in the pool.THis school is one of them.

#202834

Brett Edwards was a manipulating, ***, he was sleeping with Chelsie Foster before she turned 18, in her room when we was assigned a room with another male student. Bibo was a closet *** with sever anger problems, who would sneak into Akram's room to ***. In order to stay in the country Akram married a poor innocent girl. And when Josh Sands found out he tried put put everything back in order and all of the people creating the problems decided to revolt and cause problems. Josh and his brother Larry worked really hard at accommodating these children but they didn't get there was so they quit or got kicked out.

The Academy has a curriculum that was very hard to follow because of all of the chaos that Brett, Chelsie, Bibo and Akram. They all spread rumors and kept them going.

Also we we given many opportunities to have our demo reels shot every week.

These students are just upset because they wasted their time.

Josh and Larry are trying to provide a great thing by offering something good for actors and filmmakers in a town that eats up people and spits them out.

I got my deposit back because I didn't damage anything and I don't owe the academy money.

I strongly recommend not hiring and staying away from Brett Edwards, Chelsie Foster, Henri Bibo and Akram Kanaan there people are trouble making liars. They are the worst kinds of people.

The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy is a total and complete scam. Never in my life did I ever think I would be the subject to verbal abuse on a constant basis from the owner Josh Sands. He is a money hungry slimeball that will tell potential students ANYTHING to get them to sign up. The students would complain and with all good reason. No curicullum, no structure, lies about feature films, imdb credits, demo reels, free headshots, among others. Our class was told we would be shooting scenes every week and although lines were memorized, character's broken down, and the insistance of the students to film, it was near impossible to get Josh off his lazy flabby fat midget a$$. His insistance on threatening students constantly, because of problems that were not the fault of the students, is because of his severe issues with Napolean Syndrome. Respect is a severe issue with him because of his tiny height. He demands it without offering it to others. He runs that school like Hitler. He will love you to your face, hate you to your back, and then find the dumbest reason to hate you to your face for his own benefit (I'll get to that).

Josh claims to not be a landlord for the free housing (which really isn't free), but will find any way to kick out a student. Once a student has signed their contract Josh purposefully creates a negative energy, and denies his students what is promised in order to upset them to the point that they either want to leave, or, will create such a confrontation that happily gives him authority to kick them out.

You have to understand this from a business stand point. Out of 18 students that were fully committed to starting their careers and signed up to his 6 month program, all but 3 left the program early. So, from a business standpoint, he doesn't feel obligated to make a feature because of the lack of students, his operating costs drop 80%, and he STILL COLLECTS on their tuition. How's that for a scam. It got so bad for him while the school was called The Hollywood Digital Film School that he shut it down and re-opened under the current name.

His former involvement with The Huntington Career College and the process in which he brings in International Students is completely illegal. He would pay Huntington's student tuition so he could obtain the proper international document for his students. This school is not accredited with the state of California for these obvious reasons and his illegal involvement with Huntington IS being investigated by authorities.

The current student who replied above in the positive, and who bashed the former students, works for the school and does not have to pay for tuition because of this. She has expressed her dislike for Josh, has bashed him as well, but she is playing a game that is favoring herself in front of Josh. N.B. is fake, and unfortunately, a terrible person who will run to Josh like Himmler would to Hitler.

While The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy has changed their website and programs, it is the same story year in and year out. The book stays the same and the cover changes. It's funny that out of 18 alumni in the Sept. program only 1 is featured on their site. The interviews and clips are ancient and the current feature that they are touting is ***, just look at their clip, and it was supposed to be made long long ago for a previous program. There will be no IMDB, their distribution is likely through selling it through iTunes which I can do with a home video.

Their promise of an edited demo reel is bulls*#t. Josh & his pushover brother Larry never have time to film so it's obvious that they "claim" to never have time to edit their reels. Students that attend who only want to act should not be forced to edit their own material if they do not know how to, and, when an editing class was offered Josh got so frustrated with trying to teach the students that he all but gave up.

In reality, Josh Sands NEVER GRADUATED from a film school. He claims that he learned more in the real world than in an accredited upper tier film school. This is an excuse for his own inability to learn from others which in turn has made him, NOT a director as he claims, but a GLORIFIED cameraman. His cinematography and lighting (which he claims to teach) is so poor a dyslexic monkey could do better (just check out his directed scenes). Recycled Parts for example is a HUGE pile of kaka.

Josh was so proud when Shug Knight came to the school that he didn't realize that he could potentially be putting the students in danger. This is a man who has been accused of murder and within a week of shooting a small scene was arrested. This is a huge reason for me leaving.

Josh's former students include an Arizona fugitive who had severe mental problems, an Arizona sex offender who is currently in jail for sleeping with one of his former students, a formerly homeless and currently alcoholic that can be obviously seen in a student testimony on the website, and a man who was previously institutionalized, had a violent temper, stalked one of the students, and was taken to a mental evaluation facility because of his threats to commit suicide by jumping off the Kodak Theatre building.

During my time as a teacher I have seen students, teachers, and faculty come and go combined (on bad terms) at a percentage close to 85 - 90%. Those that stayed were few (and worked for him), and most of those who left had their money stolen from them and had their dreams dashed when they went back home. I hope for the sake of any perspective student that they don't as well fall into Josh's trap and scam network at The Hollywood Film & Acting Academy.

The head of the school, Josh Sands, is really nice BEFORE you sign a fake contract, but all of the sudden (coincidentally) turns into a guy who does not care about you or your future acting career.My best advice is STAY AWAY from that school.‎

View more comments